I plan on quilting it in three panels, then putting it together QAYG with a green strip. I made the back for the elephant panel, green and navy stripes, hoping they would line up with the blocks on the front.
|The green and navy strips is the elephant section. The other two panels will have the fabric on either side for the backing.|
I wanted to try out Leah Day's elastic method to hold the backing taut. The problem was the elastic I had wasn't nearly enough, so I ran out to the closest quilt/sewing store, Barbara's Quilt Shop.
|I attached the elastic under the tables and pinned it to the back of the quilt.|
|Not perfect, but way better than tape.|
|I baste in my VERY UNfinished basement|
|Since I'm using Quilters Dream Puff (polyester), I pin basted it. Spray doesn't stick well to polyester batting|
|I did a lot of stitch in the ditch to stabilize, then started quilting.|
|I was pleased at how well my front and back lined up.|
|Detail of the start of quilting. I'm using an Aurifil variegated for the paisley and around the elephants. Aurifil Midnight stitching around everything.|
I'm pleased with the progress so far. But lest you think I didn't do my obligatory mending this week, I did fix a pair of pants, where the top stitching had come out of the zipper.
|Can't really see the stitching, but they are all fixed.|
Color Me Quilty!